It’s this time of year when life is fast paced with festive fun and sometimes it can be easy to get a little stuck when it comes to rustling up a simple and healthy supper from either yourself, you and your partner or the family.
So here is simple Supper suggestion that has a prep time of only 20 minutes and is healthy and most importantly filling as well as delicious!
Sticky Sesame Chicken Skewers with Noodle Salad
20 mins prep
Dish up delicious sticky sesame chicken skewers with a ginger and carrot rice noodle salad for an easy midweek dinner. Perfect for lunchboxes, too.
- 2 free-range, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3-4cm chunks (use organic chicken where possible)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 6 spring onions, 2 cut into 3-4cm lengths and 4 thinly sliced
- 200g flat rice noodles
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced with a julienne peeler or coarsely grated
- Grated zest and juice 2 limes, plus wedges to serve
You’ll also need
- Metal or wooden skewers (soak wooden ones in warm water for 30 minutes beforehand)
- In a bowl, mix the chicken pieces, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp honey and 1 tbsp sesame seeds. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes and up to 5 hours to marinate (even better marinate overnight).
- Put a griddle pan over a medium-high heat or heat the grill to high. Thread the chicken onto skewers, alternating with lengths of spring onion. Griddle/grill for 8-12 minutes, turning, until the chicken is lightly charred and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the pack instructions.
- In a large bowl, mix the remaining soy sauce, sesame oil, honey and sesame seeds with the ginger, coriander, sliced spring onions, carrots and lime zest and juice. Rinse the cooked noodles under cold water, then toss in the bowl.
- Serve the chicken kebabs with the noodle salad and lime wedges.
Easy swaps: Use prawns instead or extra firm tofu. If you’re on a gluten-free diet, replace the soy sauce with tamari (check the label).